DES MOINES, Iowa – In a game of runs, the Stockton Heat could not overcome a three-goal hole as the Iowa Wild hung on for a 7-4 win Sunday at Wells Fargo Arena. The Heat jumped out to a 2-0 run as Byron Froese and Alan Quine each lit the lamp, but Iowa rattled off five unanswered over the next nine minutes for a commanding 5-2 lead early in the second. The Heat showed their mettle with a pair of goals from Rinat Valiev and Luke Philp over a span of just 49 seconds later in the middle frame, but a shorthanded tally from Iowa’s J.T. Brown, his third point of the evening, put a halt to the visitors’ run before the second intermission. Brown (1g,2a) was joined by Gerald Mayhew (2g,2a), whose empty-netter was the lone goal of the third, to lead the attack for Iowa, while Froese, Quine and Austin Czarnik all posted two points in the game for Stockton.
SCORING AND PENALTY SUMMARY
W: Mat Robson (29 shots, 25 saves)
L: Jon Gillies (17 shots, 15 saves)
ND: Artyom Zagidulin (15 shots, 11 saves)
Three Stars: First – Gerald Mayhew (2g,2a), Second – J.T. Brown (1g,2a), Third – Brennan Menell (1g,1a)
Shots On Goal: STK – 29, IA – 33
Power Plays: STK – 1-5, IA – 2-3
– Byron Froese (4g,6a) and Alan Quine (3g,7a) extended their respective scoring streaks to six games with a goal and assist each in the first period.
– Austin Czarnik recorded a pair of assists in the game’s opening frame, giving him points in three straight (4g,2a).
– Luke Philp and Froese each netted their 16th goal of the season, respectively, tying them with Buddy Robinson for Stockton’s team lead.
– Rinat Valiev’s goal was his second of the season, last lighting the lamp on January 3.
– The Heat dropped both games despite scoring first on the weekend after entering with a record of 16-1-2-2 in such games.
The Heat will head to San Jose for a Wednesday tilt against the Barracuda before returning home for a three-games-in-four-days sprint at Stockton Arena starting Friday.