STOCKTON, Calif. – Despite trailing after two periods for the first time this season, the Stockton Heat (9-0-1-0) rallied for their team-record ninth consecutive win, a 3-2 shootout decision Friday against the Henderson Silver Knights (5-4-1-1) at Stockton Arena.
Adam Ruzicka lit the lamp first, the sixth time the Heat have broken the ice during the win streak, with his team-leading eighth goal of the season coming at the 12:58 mark of the first. The lead was short-lived as Paul Cotter evened the score 36 seconds later, knotting the game through 20 minutes of action.
Lucas Elvenes gave the visiting Silver Knights the upper hand 4:51 into the second period, an advantage that lasted through nearly the midway point of the third frame when Jakob Pelletier deadlocked the game at two goals a side with his fifth marker of the campaign.
Both teams went scoreless in overtime, and Justin Kirkland was the lone goal scorer in the shootout as the Heat took the hard-fought decision to extend the win streak.
- Adam Ruzicka scored the first goal of the game, his team-leading eighth marker of the season.
- Ruzicka notched his team-best fifth multi-point effort of the season.
- Jakob Pelletier’s goal to tie the game in the third period was his fifth lamp-lighter of the season, tied for fourth among rookies in the AHL.
- Adam Werner earned his 30th AHL win in his 50th AHL game.
- Friday’s game was the first time this season Stockton trailed through two periods.
- The Heat extended their win streak to a team-record nine games.
STK PP – 1-6
STK PK – 4-4
First – Justin Kirkland (shootout goal)
Second – Adam Ruzicka (1g, 1a)
Third – Pavel Dorofeyev (2a)
W – Adam Werner (22 saves on 24 shots faced, 3 shootout saves on 3 attempts)
L – Logan Thompson (28 saves on 30 shots faced, 2 shootout saves on 3 attempts)
The Heat wrap their home stand Saturday against Henderson with Military Appreciation Night presented by Delta Trucking and Humana.