STOCKTON, Calif. – Ryan Lomberg tallied six points to lead the offensive onslaught as the Stockton Heat earned a preseason split against Bakersfield with a 7-5 win Sunday night at Stockton Arena. The veteran forward scored shorthanded to put the home team up 3-2 then punctuated the win with an empty-netter for the game’s first two-goal cushion. It was a back-and-forth affair in which Stockton struggled to get separation but never trailed, the teams trading goals up to a 5-5 stalemate. In total, 11 Heat players hit the scoresheet with Lomberg and Eetu Tuulola recording multi-point efforts. Stockton also finished the game with an impressive 41-15 shot differential. The win for Stockton allows the Heat to finish the preseason 1-1, both games coming this weekend against the Condors.
SCORING AND PENALTY SUMMARY
W: Zagidulin (3 shots, 1 save)
L: Skinner (22 shots, 20 saves)
Three Stars: First – Ryan Lomberg (2g,4a); Second – Eetu Tuulola (1g,1a); Third – Brandon Davidson (1g)
Final Shots: STK – 41, BAK – 15
Power Plays: STK – 1-4, BAK – 2-6
– Brandon Davidson opened the night’s scoring just 21 seconds into the contest, assists from Eetu Tuulola and Ryan Lomberg.
– Davidson’s goal was scored faster than any goal for Stockton in the 2018-19 season, last year’s fastest coming just 46 seconds into game action from Alan Quine against San Jose on November 27.
– Rinat Valiev was the first returning Stockton player to light the lamp this preseason with his first-period marker. Glenn Gawdin and Matthew Phillips had the helpers.
– Ryan Lomberg’s shorthanded marker was the first of the preseason for the Heat. Stockton led the AHL with 17 SHGs in the 2018-19 season. Lomberg finished tied for second in the AHL with four shorthanded goals of his own.
– Lomberg finished the game with six points (2g,4a), including the empty-netter. The Heat have never had a six-point game from a player in a regular season or postseason game.
– Tuulola finished the night with two points (1g,1a).
– 11 players registered at least one point on the night for Stockton.
The Heat will open the season on the road with a pair of contests at Colorado, Friday, October 4 and Saturday, October 5. Stockton’s home opener will take place the following week on Saturday, October 12 at 6 p.m. against the San Diego Gulls. Single-game tickets for all Heat home games will be available on Tuesday, October 2.