STOCKTON, Calif. – Connor Mackey tallied three points and two goals while Martin Pospisil and Connor Zary each lit the lamp as the Stockton Heat (12-2-2-0) snapped a five-game San Diego win streak and grounded the Gulls (8-7-1-0) by a 4-1 final score Friday at Stockton Arena.
With the win, the Heat improved to 4-0-0-0 on the year following losses.
The Heat jumped out to a 1-0 lead late in the first, Pospisil netting his fourth of the season 12:42 into action on Stockton’s first shot on goal of the game.
The home club saw its lead grow to three in a dominant second period, outshooting San Diego 21-3 and getting an even strength score from Zary 2:16 into the frame and shorthanded marker from Mackey with 1:20 to go in the period.
The teams traded power play goals in the final frame, San Diego trimming the deficit to two before Mackey pushed the edge to the decisive three-goal difference.
Stockton’s penalty kill erased eight of nine man-advantages for the visitors in the contest.
- Martin Pospisil’s goal gives him a three-game point streak. He has goals in back-to-back games.
- Connor Zary’s goal in the second period was his second of the year.
- Connor Mackey’s shorthanded goal in the second was his first goal of the season and the second shorthanded marker of the year for the Heat. He notched his first multi-point game of the season as he also had a helper on Pospisil’s score.
- Stockton is now 4-0-0-0 on the year following a loss.
- Dustin Wolf has led the Heat to at least a point in 12 consecutive starts (10-0-2-0).
STK PP – 1-for-6
STK PK – 8-for-9
First – Connor Mackey (2g, 1a)
Second – Martin Pospisil (1g)
Third – Connor Zary (1g)
W – Dustin Wolf (23 saves on 24 shots faced)
L – Lukas Dostal (26 saves on 30 shots faced)
The Heat and Gulls close out the two-game set Saturday at Stockton Arena, a 6 p.m. puck drop.