STOCKTON, Calif. – Led by a five-point night from Matthew Phillips and timely goals from rookie forward Luke Philp, the Stockton Heat snapped San Diego’s four-game win streak with a 6-3 win Monday over the Gulls at Stockton Arena. The Heat jumped out to a 3-0 lead with goals from Dillon Dube, Byron Froese and Rob Hamilton, but three-straight scores from the visiting team knotted the game at three apiece early in the third frame. Stockton responded with a three-goal onslaught in the final 7:01 of game time, two coming from Philp, his first and second professional goals, sandwiched around Phillips’ marker to produce the 6-3 final. With the win, the Heat improved to 3-0 against San Diego and are now 2-0 following regulation losses.
SCORING AND PENALTY SUMMARY
W: Jon Gillies (27 shots, 24 saves)
L: Kevin Boyle (38 shots, 32 saves)
Three Stars: First – Matthew Phillips (1g,4a), Second – Dillon Dube (1g,2a) Third – Luke Philp (2g)
Final Shots: STK – 38, SD – 27
Power Plays: STK – 2-4, SD – 0-2
– Dillon Dube’s goal in the first period extended his goal streak to three games, matching the longest such streak of his career (March 6, 8, 10 of 2019).
– Byron Froese’s goal to extend Stockton’s lead to 2-0 in the first was his seventh of the season and third of the year on the power play.
– Rob Hamilton scored his first goal of the season with his second period marker.
– With an assist on Hamilton’s goal, Justin Kirkland now has five helpers over Stockton’s last three games.
– Luke Philp’s first professional point went down as the game-winning goal.
– Matthew Phillips’ five points (1g,4a) were a career high.
– The Heat have recorded at least one point in each of Jon Gillies’ last five starts.
– Stockton is now 3-0 on the year against the Gulls.
– The Heat are 2-0 on the year following regulation losses.
The Heat will host the Tucson Roadrunners for Harry Potter Sock Toss Night (Friday – 7 p.m.) and the San Jose Barracuda for a canned food drive Saturday at 6 p.m., the final home games of November.