MONTREAL, QC – Mark Simpson and Adam Ruzicka found the back of the net in a third period push, but the Stockton Heat (9-11-1-0) dropped Sunday’s contest against the Laval Rocket (17-4-1-1) by a 4-2 final score at the Bell Centre in Montreal.
The teams played to a scoreless draw in the first period before the Rocket jumped on top in the second, Rafael Harvey-Pinard scoring on the power play 6:20 into the frame for a 1-0 lead.
The cushion grew to three early in the third with Yannick Veilleux and Ryan Poehling scoring in the first 4:05 of the final period before Simpson’s marker cut the deficit to two. Ruzicka then trimmed the gap to just one score in the final minute before an empty-netter produced the 4-2 final.
Garret Sparks made 34 saves on 37 shots faced in the game.
– Mark Simpson recorded his fourth goal of the season and first since March 8.
– Alex Gallant recorded his first assist of the season on Simpson’s score.
– Simpson’s goal snapped a Laval shutout streak of more than 110 minutes against Stockton.
– Adam Ruzicka’s goal was his team-leading ninth of the season.
– Garret Sparks made 34 saves in the game, his second-highest tally of the season.
STK PP – 0-for-0
STK PK – 2-for-3
First – Jordan Weal (2 assists)
Second – Rafael Harvey-Pinard (2 goals, 1 assist)
Third – Ryan Poehling (1 goal, 1 assist)
W – Michael McNiven (16 saves on 18 shots faced)
L – Garret Sparks (34 saves on 37 shots faced)
The Heat close out their seven-game road trip with a Tuesday contest at Laval, a 5 p.m. MT, 4 p.m. PT puck drop at the Bell Centre.