SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Juuso Valimaki found the back of the net with just 13 seconds remaining in regulation to give Stockton a 2-1 victory Saturday night over the San Diego Gulls at Pechanga Arena. Valimaki’s tally finished off a third-period comeback, Stockton scoring the final two games after the Gulls took a 1-0 lead early in the final frame that held until Spencer Foo’s marker with 11:39 remaining. Jon Gillies was brilliant once again between the pipes for Stockton, turning away 34 of 35 shots faced in his 14th-straight start, keeping the Heat deadlocked with San Diego at 0-0 through 40 minutes of play and conceding the lone goal to Adam Cracknell at 2:01 of the third. With the win, Stockton takes the season series from San Diego by a 5-3 count, finishing the year 4-0 at Pechanga Arena.
SCORING AND PENALTY SUMMARY
W: Jon Gillies (35 shots, 34 saves)
L: Kevin Boyle (32 shots, 30 saves)
Three Stars: First – Jon Gillies (34 saves), Second – Juuso Valimaki (1g), Third – Spencer Foo (1g)
Final Shots: STK – 32, SD – 35
Power Plays: STK – 0-4, SD – 0-2
– Spencer Foo scored his first goal against San Diego this season, his third point in eight games against the Gulls, to tie the game in the third period.
– Marcus Hogstrom’s assist on Foo’s game-tying goal in the third period was his first AHL point.
– Juuso Valiamki’s goal with just 13 seconds left in the game was his first game-winning goal.
– Jon Gillies made his 14th-straight start for Stockton in the game, now 9-4-0-1 over that span.
– The contest was the third-straight game in which Stockton scored the game-winner in the final 2:10 of regulation.
– Stockton finishes the season with a record of 4-0 at San Diego and wins the season series 5-3.
The Heat will face off against the Ontario Reign Sunday at 3 p.m. and will next return to action next weekend on the road against the Manitoba Moose.